[TriLUG] Setting up a secure mail server with Postfix (SMTP AUTH), Dovecot, Squirrelmail, etc

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Oct 20 20:41:56 EDT 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>
> > * Much more information on this topic here; don't be fooled by the strange
> >   URL, this is an excellent HOWTO:
> > 	https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=94312
>
> GAAAAH!
>
> Darn it, Jeremy, now I have to kill you.
>
> You send this *one day* after I gave up on getting SASL to work with
> postfix on redhat 9 and implemented sendmail on our new mail server.  :P
>
> I don't know how RH's RPMs differ from the official unofficial RPMs for
> postfix, but if that's the difference to make things work, I'm now
> "officially" pulling my hair out and screaming at the monitor.  =)

Heh.  It turns out it was Joseph Tate who actually determined the
brokenness of the Red Hat RPMs; I think he posted this a while back.  The
problem is that different components were using differing versions of
SASL, and the two versions are incompatible.  Joseph convinced John Dennis
at Red Hat of this and the result was fixed RPMs in Rawhide... thanks Joe.

I was pulling my hair out about this quite a bit, another thing that was
real handy, from the above bugzilla attachment text, was the hint on how
to get saslauthd to log more verbosely.  Chris Ricker and John Dennis
really did a good job in that document.

--Jeremy