[TriLUG] No More Consumer Red Hat?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Oct 21 15:27:20 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 15:14, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:

> I have long maintained that this was a very bad idea.  I feel like Red Hat
> has abandoned us and its users who dont have a fast enough connection to
> connect to the web and obtain this product.  Many people are still on
> dial-up.

Linux Users Groups, like this one, are in a position to provide burned
CDs for free or at-cost.  We have done this for quite a few releases and
plan to continue.  We should have both Fedora Core 1.0 and Mandrake 9.2
CD sets available at the November meeting.

You can also get CD sets from places like cheapbytes.com.  I believe one
of the reasons that the name was changed to Fedora is to allow places
like this to use the "Fedora" name without infringing on the Red Hat
trademark.  These sites are MUCH cheaper than the official boxed sets
anyway ($5 to $10 versus about $50).

--Jeremy