[TriLUG] [OT] nntp crawling script [as linux cronjob]

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 21 22:35:39 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 15:38, bp wrote:
> Does anyone know of a shell script that i could setup to crawl a newsgroup
> to look for certain posts?
>
> I'd like to have a cronjob grep a forsale forum two or three times a day
> for stuff i'm looking for.
>
> Thanks. bp
> I realize this is slightly OT but it'll be run on my linux server ;-)

I've written some a long time back. If you like to hack in perl look at
Net::NNTP

http://www.fnal.gov/docs/products/perl/pod.new/site_perl/5.005/i686-linux/Net/NNTP.html

Alas, I don't have those hacks anymore.  I've grown used to using the
Mailman gateway tools to handle my nntp needs, and then I just filter
that as I would ordinary mail.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes