[TriLUG] No More Consumer Red Hat?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Tue Oct 21 22:49:36 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 09:4921pm, Greg Brown wrote:
> How about putting together a "migrating to Mandrake" tip sheet for
> the LUG.

I don think it would be necessary. Install it on a test machine /
partition / vm and see for yourself. If you can work with Red Hat Linux
you can work with Mandrake Linux with zero (nada zilch) "retraining"
(note: for desktop usage. of course there are differences, in conf
tools, location of apps in menus...).

> Are there any oddities?

Yes, like everywhere elese.

> What is the supported method to
> keep Mandrake up to date?  Does it support yum, or something like
> that?

It uses URPMI. See http://www.urpmi.org . It also has GUI front-ends:
rpmdrake & rpmdrake-remove.

> What else can I expect moving from RH 9 to Mandrake 9.x?

Mmmm. Not much. Linux is Linux is Linux is Linux is Linux.

> read something on slashdot about Mandrake having screen-saver based
> adverts? Is this the case?

Luke! Use the Source!

http://www.mandrakeclub.com/article.php?sid=1215&mode=nocomments

If you want to buy, you can choose from the 2CD package (Mandrake
Discovery)  to the Corporate Advanced Server Ultra Mega Plus.

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/

In short: if you have used Linux, you should have no problem.

If you never have used Linux before, Mandrake is friendly enough to
soften many of Linux "rough edges" (as percived by Windows users)

Salut,
Sinner
- --
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Testing Mandrake 9.2 -    Linux Machine # 38068