[TriLUG] No More Consumer Red Hat?

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 23 08:25:42 EDT 2003

On 10/21/2003 12:18 PM, David R.Matusiak wrote:
> hello Linux Users --
>
> a co-worker just mentioned to me that (from what they had read) there
> will be no Red Hat 10 product.  Fedora Core (free beta testers?) is
> supposed to take over in that realm, and RH will continue to make/sell
> "Enterprise" Linux products, but essentially that consumer-grade RH is
> not long for this world.

Well, I have spoken to the sales guys at RH and the whole thing is a big
mess for me and probably for many others.  We got the quote, scraped
together the money and then found out that we would need to reinstall
the servers (no upgrade from RH 7.2 or RH 9 to Enterprise).  I have 90
RH servers in the field.  For me that would mean visiting 90 sites.
Heck, even if the servers were all across the hallway that would still
be a big mess.  If I have to reinstall anyway, then looking at other
distributions seems reasonable.  We are still in the process of
upgrading to RH 9.  I guess we'll worry about what comes next in January
or so...    I suspect that we'll end up doing Fedora though.

--

Janyne Kizer
Systems Programmer Administrator