Open vs closed (was Re: [TriLUG] sample chapters...)

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 24 17:57:34 EDT 2003

On Friday 24 October 2003 11:05, Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> For example, MIT believes in "OpenCourseWare"
>
> http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

That's powerful.  This is a Prentice Hall and Addison Wesley killer.  But
then again these publishers slightly modify problem sets in math books and
come out with a new edition.  What's the motive? To make cheating harder or
to goose sales?  If their motive is to goose sales by creating planned
inefficiencies then they are roadkill in the future.  How much has Calculus
changed recently?  Enough to warrant a new edition?

The MIT stuff can be used by a Malaysian university and MIT gets nothing in
return except gushing praise from around the world. This is a subsidized
effort and nobody is giving away work for free.  MIT will not loose any
business from this initiative either.  They will always have an over-supply
of students and faculty applicants and their endowment may actually increase
in the future because of the value they are providing to the world at large.

I just got off the phone with http://www.smartdongle.com/.  They said
http://www.imageworks.com/ used their Linux stuff.  I asked about the
application but they didn't know.  My guess is that Imageworks created tools
that they want to control even amoung their own employees.  They may have
created a competitive advantage by building a tool on an open source
platform.  If my analysis is correct, then I've found an example of closed
and open source coexisting.

What I'm still searching for are the rules for what should be open and what
should or can be closed.  I reject the position that all code should or
should not be open.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)