[TriLUG] VPN suggestions

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Oct 28 11:03:41 EST 2003

I've been asked several times by our VP of sales about setting up a VPN
so that he can access files on our winders fileserver behind our
firewall.  Short of opening up ports 137-139, or using the Windows VPN
(Which may or may not be feasible since I don't control the subnet), are
there simple ways to accomplish this?  I have a RH 7.3 system nearby,
and we could probably purchase a VPN appliance.  Does this sound like a
job for WebDAV?  Should I just setup ssh tunnelling for him?

I'm attracted to the Linksys VPN devices because of their advertised no
client software and no client fees, but wonder if they work when already
behind a firewall.  I can have ports opened for the device (if it has
its own IP) if necessary, but I'm not sure if I can open the entire port
range for the device.  Ideas?  Suggestions?

Joseph