[TriLUG] linux routing example

STaylor at srspos.com STaylor at srspos.com
Wed Oct 29 15:04:05 EST 2003

The same thing could have been acheived with a weighted DNS entry or round
robin DNS no?

                 The scenario here is more of switching ISPs.

                 Commonly, you would have two different routers, one from
each T1
                 provider, and you may not have direct access to their
configuration.
If
                 I understand the setup correctly, each T1 router was
connected to a
                 separate NIC on the server.  This iproute2 method allows
you to use
both
                 WAN connections "separately".  It is not really a
high-availability
or
                 load-balancing thing, it's merely a way to transition
from one
provider
                 to another.

                 --Jeremy

I understand the intention here and that is the point I was trying to
make.
Even if you're working with disparate ISP's, you can mux the connections
into one pipe for transition purposes so you don't get dumped traffic
inbound since it's sees one origination interface.  The bit about
bandwidth
and filtering was just so you could monitor what comes and goes on each
individual pipe.

Matt