[TriLUG] Re: Why evolution?

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Oct 30 00:19:02 EST 2003

Hi,  I'm actually using both Evolution and Mozilla Thunderbird right
now.  I use Evo both at home and at work to access my respective
IMAP-based mail stores.  I also use Thunderbird at work to access my
home IMAP because recent versions of Evolution have the 'feature' of
selecting the From address on a new message being composed based on the
mail folder Evo is currently in.  I kept accidentally sending work email
with my home address on it.  Bad bad thing to do so I separated how I
access my mail.

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 17:17, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> a) evolution kept taking usability things away (keystrokes to go to
>     new message, next and previous, etc.. [yes, I know you can use >,
>     but why did they change it]).

This is very annoying.

> b) GPG signing verification horribly broken when using IMAP.

I'm using IMAP, courier-imap to be exact, and have no problems with
verifying gpg signatures or signing messages I send out.

> c) Unwillingness to fix problems and even outright dismissal of bug
>     reports by the evo developers.

Can't speak to this as I've not done any bug reporting.

> d) Complete instability of later versions of evo to run on my system
>     (this one is probably specific to me).

I find evo is quite stable for me.

> Mozilla Thunderbird does almost everything I need for mail.  With the
> Enigmail plugin, it will even do GPG signing.  The one thing it won't
> do is let me setup multiple e-mail addresses for sending with no
> associated receiving component.  But, that's an open bug and being
> worked on.  In addition, it works on both my linux box and my iBook
> running OS X.  It also works under windows, so I would suggest
> looking into that if you need a good mailer.

One thing Tbird does that Evo doesn't is allow selection of what folders
to check for new email.  Tbird allows this on a folder-by-folder basis.
Evolution allows only no checking at all, check the INBOX only, or check
ALL folders.  I've got LARGE folder structures at home and work and Evo
takes a noticeable amount of time to check for new msgs.  It's annoying.

On the other hand, Thundebird, at least on Red Hat 9 boxes, has problems
getting *all* of the folder structure initially.  Some of my folder
structure is 3 or 4 layers deep, Inbox.Inboxes.sw.squirelmail.plugins
for example, and I have to go through and close/open the subfolders in
order to make Tbird see everything every time I start it.  It's annoying
and I need to file a bug on it.

If not for that bug, I would probably switch to Tbird full time
everywhere.

--[Lance]

--
  Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/