[TriLUG] Re: Re: Why evolution?

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Oct 30 03:00:29 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 00:39, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> The exact problem is this.  According to the PGP/MIME spec, the
> mime headers of the part being signed are included in what's
> signed.  Because of this, the signed section should be treated
> as opaque (that is, not changed in *ANY* way).  Unfortunately,
> if you have a big enough message, Evolution downloads each
> mime section separately and in the process can change the
> headers (upper casing everything sometimes, slightly
> reformating, etc...).  This completely breaks gpg signatures
> but note that you won't see it if your message is below
> a certain threshold.

Ahhh.  I don't think I've run across anything large enough to trigger
this bug.  Thanks for letting me know about it.

> > On the other hand, Thundebird, at least on Red Hat 9 boxes, has problems
> > getting *all* of the folder structure initially.  Some of my folder
> > structure is 3 or 4 layers deep, Inbox.Inboxes.sw.squirelmail.plugins
> > for example, and I have to go through and close/open the subfolders in
> > order to make Tbird see everything every time I start it.  It's annoying
> > and I need to file a bug on it.
>
> Hmm.. I have not seen this problem myself.  Which version of Thunderbird
> are you using?  Have you tried it with version 0.3?  How about straight
> mozilla mail?

I've tried every version of Thunderbird from 0.1 through 0.3 and still
see it.  Mozilla 1.4 displays the same behavior; just checked it against
my home IMAP server.  Perhaps it's an interaction between the
mozilla/thunderbird IMAP code and courier-imap or something.

> > If not for that bug, I would probably switch to Tbird full time
> > everywhere.
>
> Well, then, file a bug. :-)  The sooner you do, the sooner someone
> will fix it. :-)

True.  I will do so.

--[Lance]

--