[TriLUG] Old BIOS

rasch at raschnet.com rasch at raschnet.com
Sat Nov 1 13:36:26 EST 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:06:08PM -0500, Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> And if that fails, you can always install from via the net from a boot
> floppy:
> http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20031013/021016.html

You're absolutely correct, and this even appears to be a single-floppy
solution which is really nice.

I have such an aversion for floppy disks and their relatively high
failure rate (probably because all those I have are very old, and rarely
used) that I avoid at all costs writing full floppy disk images.  I find
that either a boot manager, like SBM at only 30k, or a net boot disk
using the software etherboot.org provided by http://www.rom-o-matic.net
to be much more enjoyable than chasing bad sectors.  The latter solution
with etherboot does require a bit more support including a server to run
DHCP and TFTP.

David, the floppy disk hater.