[TriLUG] self-support alternatives to Novell/SUSE & RHEL

Magnus chrish at trilug.org
Tue Nov 4 14:44:49 EST 2003

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 12:36  PM, Andrew Perrin wrote:

> Okay, I can accept that - particularly the install ease. Although
> pesonally I'd prefer improving Debian's install over going the all-new
> route, but that's just me.

Well it remains to be seen what the recent port of Anaconda to Debian
will do.  I can only see that as a positive change.

What I'm talking about doing isn't all new, though;  it's taking an
existing distro, sanitizing it of trademarks, and mildly changing it to
meet with the project's goals.

> It just seemed to me that Debian's two big
> advantages (the guaranteed "all-free"ness

Check out the cAos social contract.

> and the robustness of apt-get)

Like I said, on the RPM side we have yum which works just as well (and
often with less typing).

Like the KDE vs Gnome or Emacs vs Vi debate, it more or less boils down
to a matter of personal preference.  In my own case, it is that plus
not wanting to re-engineer my automation around a completely different
flavored distro.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish