[TriLUG] Fedora, RHEL, and drivers

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 5 09:42:59 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:00:50AM -0500, Kevin Sonney wrote:
> Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 09:00:48 -0500
>
> [Full disclosure: I work at Red Hat as a Sales engineer.]
>

> But I really don't expect hardware vendors to "support" support Fedora
> the way they support RHEL. Sure, $HARDWARE drivers might be out there, but
> I don't expect them to be as supported as similar drivers for RHEL.

Ugh.  I hope you're wrong on this one.  Otherwise I get two choices:

Fedora, the newest software and apps with out-of-date drivers for hardware.
RHEL, the newest drivers for hardware with out-of-date apps.

I don't see how any of this is going to help Linux.  Like it or not, Red
Hat is _the_ Linux to many, and provided a reasonably stable target.  Now a
developer like vmware must either maintain multiple versions of their app
for Fedora and RHEL, or give up a chunk of userbase by only supporting one.

All of this just further confuses potential Linux adoptees.  Nevermind the
head of RH saying they should be running Windows anyway.  :-/

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net