[TriLUG] Switching distros based on marketing, rumor, FUD -- or based on technical merit?

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 6 01:45:22 EST 2003

There is something that everyone is missing here.  The owner of the Linux
name  (Linus Torvalds) in a recent article in Wired magazine said that while
he was happy with the progress Linux has made in the "Server Market", that he
is not giving up on making the Linux desktop one of the finest as well,
afterall he said, that was the very first reason he started Linux in the
first place, he was interested in having a better desktop than the ones that
were available to him at the time.

   So it really doesn't matter what Red Hat says or decides to do, they are
merely doing what they think is best for themselves.
If they don't think they can perfect the desktop for use by everyone, who
cares, someone else will!!  (incidentally, in response to the criticism of
others that some folks don't support the desktop because they are using a
"downloaded verstion", I'm happy to say that I have purchased several Red Hat
and Mandrake boxes at Best Buy, Compusa and other local stores, and I will
probably do so again.)

    So I agree with the creator, if Red Hat doesn't want to improve desktop
software so that it's good enough for the masses, who should care. There's
always Suse and Mandrake and Debian  and Lindows and lots of other
distributions which do!!  One of them is going to make Linus very happy once
they figure out how to make a Linux desktop easier to use for the masses.

    So my point is simply this: why are we listening to a Corporate executive
from Red Hat on this subject and not listening to the one person that started
it all, the owner of  the Linux name, Linus Torvalds??
    Linus in case you haven't heard is now working in a Linux laboratory.
And if you believe his comments in Wired magazine, he won't be satisfied
until Linux not only conquers the Server market but the Desktop market as
well.---Al Johnson.