[TriLUG] Linux for the desktop

Carlos J. Cela ccela at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 6 08:30:39 EST 2003

I have switched to Linux in my home PC about one year ago (RH 8, right
now)- Even during the first days of using it, my only issues have been
installing new hardware - I have always find the software I needed.

I had several people using my computer at different times to do things
like browse the web, write letters, or play, without giving them more
instruction than "the web browser is called mozilla in this machine, in
the menu on the left" - In my experience, none of them had more issues
using it than they would have had using a WinXP pc. Some of them cannot
even tell the difference between Word and Open Office! (yes..I've asked
them out of curiosity).

I guess what I am trying to say is that there is nothing wrong or
not-usable on Linux for the desktop right now - once it is properly
running and configured. The complaints I always hear are always related
to installation or configuration of hardware/software. Those are two
very different issues.

Just my $0.02

Carlos-