[TriLUG] Open Source Empowerment

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Thu Nov 6 16:52:16 EST 2003

I've probably submitted about 10 messages similar to this one but hey...  :)

Have you considered Win4Lin for your Win98 sessions?  Its nice in that it
lets you run Windows either in a window on your X desktop, or full screen
on another terminal, ie, I use CTRL-ALT-F8 to get to Win98 full screen,
CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to my KDE desktop.  And QB does run fine, not sure
about TT (Turbo Tax, I assume...)  Version 5 supports DirectX, so many
games should also run.  I really do not notice any speed difference
between this machine when it ran 98 alone and now with W4L.

The only limitation that I don't like is the 128Mb ram limit for the
Windows session.  (It doesn't handle 700mb Photoshop files very well...)

Re:  Possible spyware, I created a 'test' user and installed a Win98
session for that user so that I can try things out without messing up my
regular Win98 install.  If you get a virus or whatever, you can just
delete the user and its home directory and start over with a clean install
for your next 'experiment'.

You can only run one session per license on your machine though, which
really is not an issue for me yet.  I want to eventually set up a terminal
server with a couple of licenses installed so the GF and I can run our Win
sessions from any of the workstations in my house.  (It does work via
remote ssh)

And there's a LUG discount if you call them!

--mike