[TriLUG] Redhat's Success Under New Model

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 6 17:29:36 EST 2003

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if Redhat has factored the marketing value of their highly
popular, if under-purchased workstation product into their new business
model.  There may not be enough people actually paying for the boxed
set, but they've gotten a lot of word-of-mouth advertising from the many
technical people in corporations who enthusiastically use their product.

I wonder if most geeks have moved on to some other distribution(s) in a
year or two, whether there will still be a strong following for Redhat
in corporate circles.  Their boxed set was visible in bookstores and
software stores, too, often by itself with no other distributions present.

Redhat may have to replace all of that widespread, direct knowledge and
product recognition with advertising.  I wonder if they'll find their
choice cost effective when this is factored in.

I hope Fedora is good enough, and becomes popular enough to maintain
their success.  I have gained much as a Linux and open software user
from their success.  With the growing opposition of SCO and M$, I really
want them to hang in there.

--
Scott C.