[TriLUG] Putting to rest the Fedora Controversy

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Thu Nov 6 22:15:28 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 07:08:49PM -0500, Joseph Tate wrote:
> community involvement in new packages, package releases, etc.  People
> act like Fedora is Red Hat's ex-wife.  It is not.  It's more like it's
> progeny, or spin-off.  Fedora will become what Red Hat Linux was; we'll

Agreed.

I don't even see how one can feel that Fedora is anything -but- an
extension of what Red Hat has been doing all along -- distributing well-
tested, quality sets that serve a considerable carve of the Linux
community.

> There seem to only be a couple of types of people who are complaining
> about this change: those who don't understand that having a community
> supported distribution is a good thing (a lot of these people already
> run Gentoo, Debian or Mandrake for this very reason), and those who

Whoa. Just so I'm not misunderstanding you, I hope I'm interpreting the
above correctly to mean "these people [who already run Gentoo, Debian or
Mandrake] -do- understand that having a community-supported[shaped]
distro" [is a good thing].

Users of Debian, like those of many distros, can tend toward zealotry
(to put things mildly), but I don't think anyone has ever faulted any
distro for having strong community involvement. [Those of us who use
Debian unstable aka Sid already know the mantra regarding RTF* and the
importance of mailing list archives. ;-) I know Mandrake and Gentoo also
have rather stalwart users who "give back" fervently.] I myself plan to
delve into Fedora simply because good comes out of such an embracing.

-D

Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc