[TriLUG] Linux Installations Problems

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Nov 7 10:24:07 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 09:58, Dean Price wrote:

> Now for the results of loading different Linux OS's
>
> RedHat 9 and Fedora Core 1
> Video worked great after loading ATI Drivers
> All USB initiallized fine
> Sound Works
> Ethernet drivers loaded and brought up eth0, but transmit timed out... (no
> ethernet)  reinstalled drivers, switched cards and slots - nothing.

Hi Dean,

Decent (generic) PCI ethernet cards can be bought for $10--20.  If
everything else works with Red Hat as you indicate, then it seems very
silly to scrap the install for the lack of a $15 card.  After spending
all that money on the other components, whats another $15...?

And are you *sure* that the ethernet problem is really a hardware
issue?  If you want, go ahead an post your ethernet configurations and
errors to this list and we'll help you get them right!

Also, with Fedora Core, I (and others--bugzilla.redhat.com) have had
some problems with 3Com 905/95x cards.  Supposedly, the problems can be
solved by turning off kudzu (the right-after-boot hardware detection
program) after the second boot-up.

I've had *no* ethernet problems with Red Hat 9 on the same hardware.

good luck,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com