[TriLUG] Open Source Empowerment

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Fri Nov 7 10:40:32 EST 2003

> M$ may own the patent on Evil(tm), but are we going to blame open-
> source developers when Linux is more prevalent on 'civilian' desktops
> and the number of un-patched and improperly configured machines on the
> net increases and start causing similar security issues?  (I know, I've
> strayed off the 'crash' topic a bit...)

MS is already considering it, and I think it should come as the
default for all operating systems to automatically patch with the
ability to turn that off.

I'm sure that'll have many up in arms, but anyone who knows what
they're doing can turn it off anyway and do what they want.  Anyone
who doesn't know what they're doing may be more confused by it, but at
least by accepting the default they'll be safer.

"how do you do this securely" is already a solved problem, for both MS
and us.  The real question now is what we continue to let the default
behavior be :)
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4