[TriLUG] Use Windows not Linux

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Fri Nov 7 13:52:19 EST 2003

I have been using Linux on my primary system / desktop for 18 months
now.  I've been using Linux for various server chores much longer, but
when openoffice and ximian looked like winners to me I finally brought
Linux to my desktop as well.

In the last year I have pushed the entire development group in my
company to do the same with good results.  I have also converted my
wife's classroom (she's a gradeschool teacher) to 3 Linux hosts and 1
Win2k host.  In both locations Win2k systems run various Windows-only
apps and Linux users run those apps through terminal services
connections.  Amazingly the 5th graders have taken to this arrangement
with less difficulty than some of the members of my development
department.

Through all of this I recognize that there are some things about Linux
and Linux Apps that are annoying for users experienced or not.  For
example, Mozilla Netscape and Galeon all fall short of users browsing
expectations in one way or another.  While there are various reasons for
this the general mood of the users is one of mild annoyance in that the
web browsing experience is less reliable than when using WinX with IE.
Try installing a JVM in IE and then try doing the same with plugger in
Netscape - its just more tedious / less intuitive for the end user.  It
may be argued that IE falls short in the opinions of some, but my point
here is really that end users like things to be simple, and in migration
to Linux some of the high visibility features seem less simple to the
users.

My 2 cents.

--
Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com>