[TriLUG] ports 179 and 1720

Ryan Wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 16:54:12 EST 2003

hey all,

I've got a firewall built with RH9 (running the LVS kernel), and nmap
is showing the following ports to be open:

179/tcp filtered bgp
1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931

I can't find much about either of these protocols, except that BGP is a
gateway routing protocol, and that the H.323 is some kind of
video/voice/data thing.  I was wondering if these ports should be open,
and what might have them open.  netstat -an doesn't show any programs
holding that port open...  i'm not too worried because the ports are
filtered, but it makes me a bit uneasy just because i don't really know
what they are, and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas why these
should be showing up in a nmap scan before i shut them off with
iptables.

thanks,

-rtw