[TriLUG] RE: Digital Camera vs. Linux

Dan Monjar daniel.monjar at na.biomerieux.com
Tue Nov 18 10:14:58 EST 2003

--On Monday, November 17, 2003 09:55:04 PM -0500 "Lance A. Brown"
<lance at bearcircle.net> wrote:

> One more qustion:  I've used some digital cameras where there is a
> significant delay between pushing the button and the damned thing taking
> the picture.  How do these two rate on that?  I've missed pictures
> because the 1 to 2 tenths of a second delay meant the pic I was after
> was long gone when the camera activated.

I use one of the Olympus 3-megapixel models under Linux with no problems.
As the others, it shows up as a USB drive.  It automounts with no problem
to /mnt/camera under Mandrake 9.2.

As far as the delay, just get into the habit of pressing the button down
about half way, this lets the camera autofocus and stuff.  Then at the
proper time press the rest of the way and there is no delay.

I've also had great success with lithium batteries for the thing.  I bought
it in Sept 1992, have taken over 2000 pictures and am on my third set of
batteries.  At $10 a set at Lowe's I don't bother with rechargeables.

--
Dan