[TriLUG] RE: Digital Camera vs. Linux

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Tue Nov 18 10:27:20 EST 2003

Chris Hedemark wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Lance A. Brown wrote:
>

>>One more qustion:  I've used some digital cameras where there is a
>>significant delay between pushing the button and the damned thing taking
>>the picture.  How do these two rate on that?  I've missed pictures
>>because the 1 to 2 tenths of a second delay meant the pic I was after
>>was long gone when the camera activated.
>

> You get what you pay for.  Unfortunately, the point-n-shoot cameras are
> seldom quick enough to consider using for something like a Winston Cup
> series race.

I took a lot of photos from a moving car earlier this year, and the
trick is to use a very high "film" speed and have the button pressed
down halfway in anticipation of the shot.  Once you get comfortable with
the camera you'll know when the shutter is going to open...

http://ils.unc.edu/~bollj/gallery/jamaica?&page=2

And to stay on topic, I've got a Sony DSC-S85 which also worked great
under Linux.  The Memory Stick is just like a USB device that you have
to mount:

mkdir /mnt/camera
sudo mount -tvfat /dev/sda4 /mnt/camera

Jeff