[TriLUG] We'll pay you India wages to work here in NC

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Fri Nov 21 18:54:57 EST 2003

Chris Bullock wrote:

> On Friday 21 November 2003 01:16 pm, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
>
>>U.S. IT workers command $75 to $80 an hour, while it's $22 to $25 in India
>>and $15 in China.
>>
>>http://www.itmanagersjournal.com/article.pl?sid=03/11/20/1937246
>>

>>http://searchcio.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid19_gci937606,00
>>.html
>>
>>said Brooks. "It's going to cost you $75 to $80 per hour for an IT person
>>here, but only $15 per hour in China, and $22 to $25 per hour in India."
>

> I don't know about any of you, but unless you work for a very stupid company,
> it would be outrageous to pay any IT person that kind of money.  Based on
> these rates that >$150,000 a year.  I honestly think not too many CIOs make
> that kind of money.  I found this site more reasonable stating that the
> average salary is around the $60,000/year mark.
>
> http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/vid-20073/fid-6886
>
> --cgb

The articles that SinnerP mentions were regarding outsourcing.  That's
what you would pay Accenture or IBM global services, or whichever
consulting company to do your technical bidding.  $75 to $80 an hour is
pretty spot on for this area (at least for a manpower consultant),
though I bet it can go as high as $150/hr.

Salary, however, is only about 60% of the cost of an employee, unless
the employee requires no management, receives no benefits, pays for
training himself, and does not take up any office space.  I'd say that
paying an IT person $60K/yr adds up to about $150K in total cost if you
factor in accounting, HR, management, IT resources, office space,
benefits and ongoing training.