[TriLUG] Burning MAC dmg's under Linux (now OT)

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 25 10:34:22 EST 2003

Hi Bradford,
  Thanks for the help. Neither method worked however. The hdiutil
command produced a file with a 'cdr' extension. I burned it and got the
same errors. I then tried dd'ing the device file while the dmg image was
mounted. I got an error about the device being in use.
  I think I'm just screwed. The reason I'm going through this is that I
installed Panther and it doesn't like my video card. The video is almost
undecipherable. I am trying to burn some dmg images of Jaguar I got from
a friend to do a re-install. I bought the machine used with Jaguar
installed, but no cds.
  Is it possible to do an install from the mounted dmg images? I have a
feeling it is not.

Ken

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 16:31, Bradford Powell wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2003 15:59, Ken Mink wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >   I have a some dmg cd images that I need to burn for my Mac. .....
>
> I'm not sure, but you could try (from the OS X terminal)
> hdiutil convert <diskimage.dmg> -format UDTO -o <diskimage.toast>
>  (replacing <diskimage.dmg> and <diskimage.toase> with appropriate names).
>
> Files created by diskimage are not (in general) simple isos but have many
> options for compression. 'man hdiutil' says that the UDTO format is "DVD/CD-R
> export".I've seen UDTO referred to online as a ".toast" file, but I _think_
> that an image in this format should be burnable by cdrecord.
>
> If that doesn't work you could try mounting the disk image on OS X, finding
> what device it uses for the disk, and use dd to copy from the device to a
> file. But I'm not sure if a disk image gets mapped to a device when mounted
> like that...
>
> -- Bradford Powell
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt