[TriLUG] Small business server setup

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Nov 28 09:41:33 EST 2003

> \work - Everyone will have full read / write access. Will build
> directory structure down from here.
> \finance - Only 3 of us will have access full read / write to this
> share, all others NO access

RHL9 lets you use LVM, which makes it easy to resize partitions on the
fly.  take advantage of this.

> For mail I will just add users to the machine and then disable their
> console login ability (i can do this, right?)

yup, change their shells in /etc/passwd to /bin/bash to /bin/false.  i
do this on all of my mail and samba servers.

> Will use POP/SMTP
> protocols, possibly latter moving to IMAP. At first the mail will
> only serve the local network machines, but my next step after getting
> that up will be to contact our website hosting provider about setting
> up an MX record to point to our DSL IP and then providing internet
> email for everyone in the company. Does this bring any special
> considerations into play for initial setup of Postfix?

fetchmail can be your friend here, you can pull down mail from outside
pop accounts and run them thru postfix, procmail/spamassassin, and then
use imap to access it locally.

> That's my game plan for now. Should I be considering anything else?
> Am I missing anything?

if this is a file server, you'd better have a backup plan in mind.  and
before anyone asks, raid is for redundancy, not backup :-)

jason