[TriLUG] SUSE 9 question about YaST & 3d acceleration mode

Dan Smith anilorac at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 30 19:20:39 EST 2003

Good evening!  This weekend, I installed SUSE 9 on a second hd (Win2K
other OS) with dual boot option.  I'm defaulting to KDE if that matters.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce256 with 32mb ram, downloaded the 3d driver from
NVIDIA (not distributed with SUSE 9), and installed with no problem.  I
started X, and then tried to activate the 3d acceleration in YaST.  YaST
goes through the test process, and confirms 3d acceleration will be
available after restart.

PROBLEM:  I restart, and the 3d acceleration is still disabled.  It
should have been retained.

I'm not an admin, just a dangerous enthusiast salivating to ditch M$.
So, the only way I know to restart is to either logoff and login again,
or to do a full system restart.  Is this the problem with why the
setting is not retained?

If not, should someone know how to remedy, or  be able to provide
detailed directions on the proper way to manually edit the xf86config
(isn't it this file?), I would be immensely grateful.

Thanks,

Dan