[TriLUG] Wireless at Lowes

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 1 13:31:17 EST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 11:20, Brian McCullough wrote:
> Ben Pitzer <uncleben at mindspring.com> said:
> > Greg,
> >
> > Incidentally, this might make a good class at some point:  Intrusion
> > detection, specifically with an eye towards doing it without having to
> > scrape through thousands of lines of logs every day.  Intrusion detection
> > and reporting for the SOHO/home user.  Anyone think they could teach that
> > one?
>
> I know someone who might be pursuaded to do so.  His primary focus is from
> a user of the "Dark Side", but he prefers Open tools, so I think that there
> could be some benefit.

If you've been watching the news lately you'd see that some sick people are
stealing wireless Internet access to traffic despicable content.  If your
wireless network is used unbeknownst to you for these purposes, you may find
yourself unwittlingly caught up in the mess.  Knowing how to block
unauthorized access to your wireless LAN should be an urgent matter.
Accessing a wireless LAN without authorization is becoming criminalized more
widely.  More education in this area is needed.
--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)