[TriLUG] Wireless at Lowes

Steve Williams spwilliamsjr at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 1 18:13:38 EST 2003

> The neighbor kid was dumb enough to try to crack my wep keys.  The
> first time it happened I walked over to his house and had a sit-down
> with him and his parents.  I made it clear the next time he tried it I
> would be contacting law enforcement.  There hasn't been a second time
> though I am moving to IPSec over OpenBSD to combat such activity in the
> future.

It's great that you were able to detect someone trying to enter your
wireless network.  I think it'd be great if you would share how you did
this, and how quickly you noticed...

Other than pure scare tactic, which law enforcement entity would you
actually contact to report this kid if it happened again?  I'll bet it made
you feel like a uber-geek to go next door and scare the kid and his folks -
had it been me I would have laughed and told you to keep your WiFi
transmissions contained to your house if you didnt want someone sniffing it.

Maybe next time the kid kicks a ball into your yard, you should punch a hole
in it rather than giving it back to him.  That'll teach him...

-Steve