[TriLUG] mail help needed

Stephen Hoffman srhoffman at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 2 08:58:15 EST 2003

Fetchmail!!
nothing more then a cron job or daemon...basically create a file in your
home directory called ".fetchmailrc" and add something like this...

poll mail.bellsouth.net
        proto pop3
        user "youruid"
        pass "yourpass"
        is localaccount
        nokeep
        fetchall
        no ssl

I then run this as a cron job every 5 minutes (you can also run fetchmail
as a daemon and just have is sleep for 300 seconds) and use IMAP to pick
my mail up.  This has worked for every POP and IMAP account I have ever
had.  If you want to pick up Hotmail email, I would recommend Gotmail.
Both of these methods preserve the headers (although they add there own
entries) so mail sent to my bellsouth account shows as email that was sent
to my bellsouth account and my hotmail is shown as being addressed to
@hotmail.com.  I actually use this to my benefit by sorting with procmail
to get the messages in the right folders.

HTH

Steve