[TriLUG] mail help needed

Frye, Matthew Matthew.Frye at rexhealth.com
Tue Dec 2 09:55:43 EST 2003

> I access my email through imap, but I could just as easily use pop3 if I
> liked.  Both protocols work pretty much out-of-the-box.  The only
> complicated part was the optional addition of SSL, which prevents me
> from blasting my username and password across the net in plain text.

I am still working on this.  That's where I'd like to get a block of
instruction.

> I use imap so I can access my email easily form anywhere and any client.
> Since the imap server is on my LAN, it's very fast.

Exactly

> To top it off, I installed
> openwebmail which provides a very fancy web interface as a full-featured
> mail client as well as allowing me full access to read/write my home
> directory.

I put squirrelmail up on my web server, but I don't use it that much.  It's
gets more use for it's calendar function by various members of the family
for coordination of activities.

> Do you every get annoyed at having to change the smtp server in you mail
> client when you take your laptop elsewhere?  My next project is to
> enable SMTP authentication so that I can send mail from anywhere in the
> world through my home server, which will then relay through the
> roadrunner server.

I use my own SMTP server to send, so it's accessible from anywhere.
Finagling inside of postfix made this possible.

> This can be done on a fairly crappy system.  It runs very well currently
> on a Celeron 466 with 320 mb ram, but I ran a similar setup with
> slackware on a Pentium 60 with 48 mb ram!

Oh yeah.  My "server" is a Pentium II 300 MHz with 128MB of RAM.  Not too
fast, but competent.

Matt