[TriLUG] SuSE package management.

jsevans at nc.rr.com jsevans at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 13:08:13 EST 2003

I've been using SuSE 9.0 for a few days now, and I have to say that I am pretty impressed.  The GUI in beautiful.  The package list is pretty nice.  There are even some things like Macromedia Flash that are installed by default (this is in the download version).  Even the hardware support is above par.

I just have one big complaint.  The YaST package manager sucks.

There is no command-prompt level package management feature, and it is slow as molasses.  Secondly, the only way install non-SuSE rpm's is through "rpm -i" at the command prompt.  This means that there is no dependency resolution for non-SuSE rpm's.  That is infuriating.  I know that more and more Linux distro's are trying to be windows-like in that they are easier for newbies to learn, but this is infuriating.

If I am wrong here, and there is some little known command that I am not aware of, please enlighten me.

Secondly, has anyone here tried any of the alternative RPM package management systems like APT-RPM or RPMFind?  If so, please let me know how they work for you.

Finally, when is the next install-fest?  I would love to toy around with Debian, but I have never got it working on my own before.

Thanks,
Jason