[TriLUG] text display resolution

davis davis at skink.net
Tue Dec 2 14:42:08 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 02:26:05PM -0500, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> Probably a stupid (easy) question, but I've googled enough today!  I'd
> like to change the display resolution (to a higher resolution; smaller
> text) of my monitor ... I understand this is 'normally' done under
> /etc/X11/XF86Config (i think), but I do not boot into X ...
>
> :: snip:: of  /etc/inittab
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> So how can I change the screen resolution, because knocking off lower
> resolutions in the XF86Config file does not appear to work.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Doug,

It sounds like you are talking about changing your console font and not your X font.  You need the
frame buffer option for that.  Here is how I do it:

In grub I specify the resolution using VGA parm like so:
title Linux 2.4.22 new
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /boot/bzImage.2.4.22-new vga=0x317 root=/dev/hda6 idebus=66

In kernel I have the following options enabled:

#
# Console drivers
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y

#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16=y
CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22=y

Some of those fonts are not used by my current vga selection but on the box which I copied this info
from, I have not taken time to narrow down the selection.

JD