[TriLUG] text display resolution

Sean Murphy s.murphy at acherial.homelinux.net
Tue Dec 2 14:50:06 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 14:26, Douglas Kojetin wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> Probably a stupid (easy) question, but I've googled enough today!  I'd
> like to change the display resolution (to a higher resolution; smaller
> text) of my monitor ... I understand this is 'normally' done under
> /etc/X11/XF86Config (i think), but I do not boot into X ...
>
> :: snip:: of  /etc/inittab
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> So how can I change the screen resolution, because knocking off lower
> resolutions in the XF86Config file does not appear to work.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

I'm not quite clear what you're trying to do here. if you are trying to
alter the display resoluton of X check to see if your distro also puts
in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, I know debian does this. If you are
trying to alter the display size of the text in a console, you need to
edit your /etc/lilo.conf and specify the vga=xxx setting. I use vga=791
for a 1024x428 console resolution. if you use grub, I cant help you, I
don't know it that well. For other settings you'll need to google more.

Hope I helped
--
Sean Murphy - s.murphy at acherial.homelinux.net - http://acherial.homelinux.net
::insert smart ass remark here::