[TriLUG] rc.X -- how do the real sysadmins do it?

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Wed Dec 3 10:45:00 EST 2003

> I'll admit that chkconfig is the best and easiest way to get these
> services to not load, but all it basically does is change the S to a K
> in front of the 'script' in whatever runlevel you're editing
> (/etc/rc3.d/ or /etc/rc5.d/ or whatever).  I used to go through and
> change all the S's to K's manually for RL 3 and 5, but then i found the
> light and that light was chkconfig ;-)

really?  AFAIK there are different "start" and "stop" numbers in the
scripts (something may start at 20, but stop at 90), so the s/S/K/
should *not* be (again, AFAIK) all that chkconfig does.

Each script in /etc/init.d should have a "chkconfig" comment line
(actually a whole header of stuff) that includes those numbers.
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4