[TriLUG] creating transparant images on linux

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Wed Dec 3 10:48:36 EST 2003

z wrote:
> I am looking for an easy to use graphics package that will allow me to create
> a transparent GIF file of a company logo to emebed on a web page. Can anyone
> suggest an open source application capable of this.

ImageMagick, Gimp, ppm2gif and a slew of other utilities can do this,
HOWEVER, due to the patent restrictions on GIF, this functionality is
not turned on in most distributions.  Save to PNG.  It'll do
transparency just as well as GIF, but without having to pay license fees
to the owner of the GIF/LZW patents.  It'll also give you similar file
size, more colors (gif only supports 256 indexed colors), and is
supported in all modern browsers (IE included).

Joseph