[TriLUG] Linux PDAs

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Mon Dec 8 15:02:18 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 14:49, David A. Cafaro wrote:
> I don't have experience with the 5600, but I do own a Sharp Zaurus 5500
> (the earlier model).  I've used it since April of 2002, and still love
> it.  I have a CF WiFi card and a 128MB SD card in it.  I've got ssh
> client and server running on it, as well as VNC client and server.
> Opera 6 runs very well.

> What exactly do you want to use it for?

I want it as a standard PDA (address book, etc) and I want to be able to
use ssh and the VNC client over wireless, which I guess is good to go!
A portable media (MP3,OGG) player would also be a nice feature, from the
specsheet I see it can already to MP3.  Would be nice to be able to run
irssi as well, although if ssh works then I can ssh to home and "screen"
in anyway...

> I will give you one warning
> though, the stock Sharp ROM will not sync with any Desktop Linux apps
> yet, and no definite time-line for when they will.  You can install
> other ROMs (non Sharp supported but still very good) that will sync with
> Desktop Linux apps such as QtopiaDesktop for Linux or Evolution (maybe
> more).

Does that mean the the installed OS will not sync, requiring an
alternate OS (distro) install?

TIA!

--mike