[TriLUG] ldirectord.cf

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 8 20:20:28 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 15:37, Ryan Wheaton wrote:
> Ok.  that makes sense, and it's what i figured..  but...
>
> how does this work if we set a [php session file] cookie that is
> resident until the client closes the browser?

If the cookie is client based (of course!) then you don't need to worry
about persistent connections as the cookie contains all the information
and it should work with any of the virtual servers.

>   Is the persistent
> connection then non-needed?  what happens when the server that the
> client was directed to dies mid-session?

The client will have to reconnect, but UltraMonkey should turn off the
redirect to that server if it is down, and then all the redirect records
for that server will be deleted from the reverse-NAT tables. The clients
will then be sent to new servers in the cluster, once they make their
next request.

>   does it automatically fail
> over to another realserver?  Or will the client just get "connection
> timed out" and then when they hit 'reload' the director will fwd their
> request on to the 'good' server?

If the server dies in mid-load, then the client will have to reattach.
That's fairly minor and in most cases un-noticeable.

Jon