[TriLUG] Software Project: License Options

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 12 13:54:19 EST 2003

Since we're sort-of on the topic I found this write-up by Craig
Hollabaugh in Embedded Linux Interfacing helpful in understanding the
GPL, LGPL, etc.

"you are free to use and redistribute Linux without royalty or
licensing fees, but you must make the Linux source code available to
your customers.  You can't sell Linux, but you can sell any
distribution media or enhancements that you develop.....The GPL also
states that all "derived work" must also be released under GPL... If
you build and redistribute a kernel that includes your device driver,
then your device driver code is automatically included under the GPL
and you must make it's source code available to your customers.  Device
drivers that load dynamically after the kernel boot process are not
included under the GPL, and you don't have to distribute your source
code... Designing products with Linux and other open-source software
doesn't mean you have to make your software open source.  Use of
loadable modules and LGPL libraries protects your intellectual
property...  If a product executes solely in the user space, that is,
it has no kernel code or device drivers, it is not affected by the
Linux kernel source code GPL.  A product running an application in user
space can be affected through linking to libraries that are included
under the GPL or another licensing model, called LGPL.  If an
application running in user space and that application dynamically or
statically links to glibc for functionality, the application is not
included under GPL or LGPL, and you do not have to release your source
code."

More or less a quote.

HTH

Greg