[TriLUG] Laptop Linux

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sat Dec 13 10:47:08 EST 2003

Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> writes:
> My guess is that the Win98 was hitting the disk quite often (for reasons
> unknown) and that ate up the power.  The apps I was running on Linux

Windows has this bad habit of hitting the disk for swap even when it
really doesn't need to. it also does regular pings into the
configuration, and I think the CLOCK even updates something on disk.

Windows in general is HD abuse, I think.

> basically read the hard drive on start up and then ran fairly well right
> out of RAM.

Linux does sane swapping - even in low memory situations, where Windows
will swap to disk even if it's running just the desktop and has a Gig of
ram free, it swaps.

Bad, bad design.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --