[TriLUG] Laptop Linux

Mike Mueller linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 15:07:11 EST 2003

On Saturday 13 December 2003 13:06, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
> I would actually like to know, what is a good Laptop for Linux?  The
> Laptop I had before battery life wasnt that great and sound didnt work.
> On the Toshiba Satellite that I use now I am having to use Windows XP
> because my TrackPad doesnt work and sound doesnt work.   Can someone
> point me in the direction of Satellite drivers for Linux?

You could try Knoppix which worked with the touchpad and an external USB
mouse simulataneously on my Satellite A35-S159.  Didn't try sound.  Boot it
off the CD drive and see if things work  Then find the drivers being used.

I've been reading up on ACPI.  Looks like getting a 2.5 or 2.6 kernel is
recommended.  There's an ACPI HOWTO that I'm going to read.

There are a lot of hits on "linux toshiba satellite".  (I am trying to get
the first A35-S159 HOWTO out there.)  The fact that Knoppix came up without
even installing bowls me over.  There is a Toshiba Linux user forum sponsered
by Toshiba and there is recent and cogent traffic on it.  I'd say the
A35-S159 is good so far, but it's still early in the evaluation.

--
Mike Mueller
324881 (08/20/2003)