[TriLUG] New RH

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Sun Dec 14 21:44:17 EST 2003

* Jay Barrett (j.barrett at attglobal.net) [031214 21:06]:
> Hi,

> Has anybody had a chance to play with the new
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0? Initial thoughts?
> Especially curious about LVM. And if anybody
> has tested the speed up with multi-threaded
> apps and their new Native Posix Threading
> Library?

I have RHESv3 installed on several HP DL360 servers, and the overall
feel is really not much different than RH 9.  Much of it was based on
RH9.  The only IBM hardware I have it installed on is an IBM Netfinity
6000R, and it works fine -- just make sure all the firmware and SCSI
drivers are all the same version and all up to date.  ;-)

LVM works just fine -- I use kickstart to build my images, and the
kickstart in RHESv3 supports all the LVM options.

I have *not* done any specific performance testing with multi-threaded
apps or NPTL.

> Also I'm looking at upgrading my DB2/Linux
> servers that currently run on Intel Architecture
> (IBM xSeries 330s) and now considering AMD's
> Opteron processors and was curious if anybody else
> has tried the Opterons?

I also have DB2 8.1 installed and working well, even though it's not
*officially* supported yet to run on 3.0.  (Last I checked, support
was supposed to be available later this month).

Hope that helps,
Jason