[TriLUG] BZFlag rule changes.

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Tue Dec 16 09:58:11 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 09:42, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Chris Knowles wrote:
> > Some people have asked that I make some changes to the rules for the
> > BZFlag server, and rather than just impose them onto people, I thought
> > I'd poll for input.
> >
> > The changes are:
> >
> > Change from 5 shots to 3 shots.
>
> Isn't there a flag that will let you have multiple shots?  If so, then
> if you reduce the shots down, can you add that flag?

AFAIK there isn't a flag that adds *more* shots to your tank.  There's
Rapid Fire which makes reload faster, and Machine gun, which decreases
range but vastly increases shot speed, both of which are in the current
server.

The rationalization for reducing the number of shots is that it removes
some "luck" from the game, you have to plan more, and makes the game
more cerebral.  I learned to play in a 1 shot arena.  It's *very*
different from the 5 or more shot that's prevalent out there.

> > Add a shot limit to the Shockwave flag.
>
> I'm not sure I see the point of this.  Shockwave is somewhat limited
> at times because of how close you have to be to someone.  If you're
> far away from someone it's completely useless.  So, I would vote
> -1 to this proposal.
>
> > Change the map that the Free-For-All server uses. (if you want this, I'd
> > obviously need candidates for the map.)
>
> Are there good sources of maps anywhere that people can look at?

The tricksy word in there is "good".  There are some maps at the
bzflag.sourceforge.net site, and there are some fan sites with maps,
though I don't think there are any that have maps that take advantage of
some new features to the maps.  Surely we have some creative folks in
the LUG that could build us a map.  :)

> > Also, if you have any ideas...
>
> None, right off hand, but thanks very much for setting this up! :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

CJK
--