[TriLUG] Adding users to groups

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 18 14:17:24 EST 2003

> The user will have to log out and then log back in for group changes to
> take effect.  This is true for both Windows and Linux group permissions.

Whoa there... That is definitely NOT true. Permission changes generally
take place immediately.  The only exception I know of is with
applications that cache permission values, and there are darn few of
those.

When dealing with Samba, you need to worry about the file system rights
- which you have - and then the rights that Samba allows the user or
workstation. The Samba rights are quite different from the file system
rights, but can be equally restrictive.

If you "su" as the user on the local machine and everything works
properly, then your problem is with the rights as defined in the Samba
setup.  Check out the permissions for the Share in your smb.conf file.

Jon Carnes