[TriLUG] Expiring passwords

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 22 10:23:31 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 10:08, zzd wrote:
> How do you set/unset when a particular password expires via comman line. The
> postgres account on my Mandrake system keeps having the password expire. Is
> this a global or per user setting?

man 5 shadow

 shadow  contains the encrypted password information for user’s accounts
 and optional the password aging information.  Included is

       Login name

       Encrypted password

       Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed

       Days before password may be changed

       Days after which password must be changed

       Days before password is to expire that user is warned

       Days after password expires that account is disabled

       Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled

       A reserved field

======
To convert easily from seconds to some date that I understand I use the
"date" command.  For example to see what date 1056441755 seconds is...

   date -d "jan 1, 1970 GMT +1056441755 second"

HtH - Jon Carnes, command line guru!