[TriLUG] Regular Expression Help

Matthew Todd matthew.todd at alumni.duke.edu
Wed Dec 24 11:45:47 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 10:41, Tarus Balog wrote:
> I need a regular expression for the following:
>
> The characters "Re: " followed by 2 to 8 capital letters, followed by a
> comma and space ", " and then three random words, separated by spaces.

Hi, Tarus --

How about this: /^Re: [A-Z]{2,8}, \S+ \S+ \S+$/

Attached are a perl script and some test data. The script prints only
the lines from stdin that match the above re.

[mtodd at pippin mtodd]$ cat re-test-data | ./re.pl
Re: CEGRUJAV, finally the door
Re: WPXPM, them and came
Re: OIJ, what? what? what

HTH,