[TriLUG] OT: Connecting a Cisco router to a Linux box

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Fri Dec 26 07:33:10 EST 2003

Jon Carnes wrote:

>Phillip,
>
>I play/program Cisco's all the time. If you can handle a OpenBSD or
>Linux router then you can handle the Ciscos easily - once you learn the
>command structures for getting the tasks done.

Jon,
If I may ask, what do you use as your routing application, are you
kernel routing or using something like Zebra.  I have used OpenBSD and
Linux routing for over a year and Cisco hands down is more user friendly
at the command line IMHO.  I need some type of "free" application to do
dynamic routing and possibly policy routing on the same box.  More
likely I will need to do fail over routing, as this is the main point
where I wish to implement this.  So could you/someone point me in the
right direction about finding a solution to my situation.  I am not
biased of using Linux over 'BSD, but I wish also to at some point place
firewall/ACL on these routers.
--chris