[TriLUG] Xmas wireless question

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 30 02:02:57 EST 2003

   Well, actually there isn't a precise answer to your question, because of
the nature of signals of this frequency.  For decades these frequencies have
been considered to be virtually worthless because of their characteristic
short-ranges.  If you want to be sure, before purchasing, you can have
someone put in your house the same equipment which you want to to use and see
if it will work at that range.  Unlike normal radio and TV frequencies the
frequencies we're talking about have very different characteristics. You may
find for instance that you can move the receiver and transmitter just a few
inches in any direction and that can make a huge difference between success
and failure.  It all depends upon a number of factors, the most important
being what materials were used to build the building you're talking about.
Basically it's all trial and error (that's the reason these frequencies are
"free").  ---  Al Johnson  KQ4FP.