[TriLUG] Redhat and Proliant DL380G3 - any issues?

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Tue Dec 30 19:56:25 EST 2003

Hi all,

    I'm getting ready to order the first "production" Linux system for
my employer.  I want it to go well so there isn't ammo for the folks who
would like to shoot Linux down.

    Based on, purchasing contracts, what models we generally order, and
the business requirements I have determined that the HP Proliant DL380
G3 is the best fit.  I'm inclined to go with Fedora Core just being the
most up to date.  There isn't need for the kind of extra support that
RHEL offers.  I could go with RH 9 if there's a reason.

    The system will be a dedicated NESSUS scanner we intend to put
several NICs in it and plug it into multiple networks/VLANS so that we
can schedule "attacks" for the evening hours and not have the security
folks hanging out to all hours of the evening.   I did find the little
bit of addon for NESSUS that will store the results in a MYSQL database
and report via the web.  ;) A real selling point!  Gotta to the PHB
reports!

    So, really 2 questions.

    1. Has anyone on the list had experience with this system and either
RH9 or Fedora Core 1? Good or bad?

    2. Does anyone on the list have other things for a NESSUS server
that I should be looking at that they know about?

    Thanks in Advance!

    Kevin

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
Howard Aiken